Twenty-seven years ago, two Gothic people from Leipzig had an unusual idea: They didn’t want to create yet another dark music festival but rather a supra-regional gathering of like-minded fellows for relaxed meeting, chatting and celebrating. When the 1st Wave-Gotik-Treffen took place in 1992 at the edge of Leipzig with about 2,000 visitors and just a handful of bands, it is unlikely that anyone imagined that within a few years the WGT would become the largest meeting of Gothic people in the world, taking possession of a whole city every year at Whitsun.
Now, the WGT exists more than a quarter-century…from June 7th to 10th, again more than 20,000 Gothics from all over the world are expected to come together again in Leipzig to celebrate Wave-Gotik-Treffen as THE international gathering of the dark family. All over the city, there will be more than 200 bands performing, projects and single artists covering the whole wide range of Gothic music: from Electro-Pop to Goth-Metal, from EBM to Neofolk, from medieval music to Post Punk. Apart from famous bands of the scene, you are invited for new discoveries with several less-known real underground bands or artists from the edge of the Gothic music universe. The concerts and events take place at more than 40 venues spread throughout Leipzig, for instance in the vaults of the Moritzbastei, in the splendid cupola hall of the Volkspalast, in the neo-gothic church Heilandskirche and in the historical public bath Stadtbad, as well as in large concert halls. The WGT program will also include beautiful classical music again, such as operas, chamber music, choral and organ concerts.
From its beginning the Wave-Gotik-Treffen has been much more than a music festival: its guests may step back to the romantic atmosphere of ancient times at the medieval market place at the Pagan Village (Heidnisches Dorf). We will present authors reading and unusual theatre, cinematic performances will take place. People in historic clothing will gather for a Victorian Picnic in a park. For four days a large hall at the agra-Messepark will be transformed into the biggest Gothic-wares marketplace in the world. In numerous clubs DJs from all over the world will invite you to dance until dawn. There will also be a large fetish party where entrance is only possible by following a strict voluptuous dress code. A stroll through the winding passages of city centre of Leipzig with its historical buildings of the Renaissance, Baroque and Jugendstil (Art Nouveau) eras is especially worthwhile for art and culture lovers: the entrance to several of Leipzig’s museums is free for WGT-guests.
Cheap and entertaining accommodation is available at the huge Treffen camping ground. To enter, you need a special ticket (called Obsorgekarte). Public transport in the city is free for all WGT-guests from Friday morning until noontime Tuesday.
The inhabitants of Leipzig have become familiar with the Treffen over the last two decades – there are no longer any prejudices and the Gothic guests are very welcome here. The most fascinating aspect of the Wave-Gotik-Treffen is surely its unique magic atmosphere that covers the whole city. Gothics from all over the world celebrate their gathering in a peacefully relaxed manner, turning Leipzig into a diverse wave of black. Once a year about twenty thousand Gothics come home: to the Wave-Gotik-Treffen.
For a full listing of artists playing at the festival, follow this link!
Some details for the festival!
– Date: June 7th to 10th, 2019
– Location: Leipzig, eastern Germany, at about 40 venues spread all over the city; camping site and main venue at the edge of town at the agra-Messepark, Markkleeberg; for information on the city you may check here.
– Websites: www.wave-gotik-treffen.de/english www.facebook.com/WaveGotikTreffen
If you are travelling to the WGT for the first time, you can find lots of useful information for planning your trip at: http://www.leipzig.travel/blog/wave-gotik-treffen-leipzig-guide-english/ or www.sadgoth.com
– App: WGT-Guide – useful app to download at Google Play, iTunes or Amazon
– Music styles: All sub-genres of dark music: Gothic; EBM; Industrial; Ambient; Neofolk; Synthpop, Goth-Metal, Post Punk etc. Youtube Playlist –
– Tickets: 4-Day-Tickets for all events within the 28th Wave-Gotik-Treffen Whitsun 2019 are available for 130,- € each in advance ticket sale. The Treffen-Event-Ticket includes the free usage of all public transport within Zone 110 of the MDV (Mitteldeutscher Verkehrverbund), this includes all trams, buses and S-Bahn lines except special lines e.g. sightseeing tours). Detailed information (e.g. period of validity) is to be found on the reverse side of the ticket.
– Camping: For camping you need a special ticket called Obsorgekarte (available for 25,- €) that allows you to stay at the Treffen- Campground (agra-fairground) from June 6th to 11th.
– Parking: For car parking at the Treffen-area (agra) you have to purchase a parking permit for €15, (including advance sale charges). Parking at the Treffen-area (agra-Messepark) is definitely not possible without a parking permit.
All tickets can be ordered via http://www.wave-gotik-treffen.de/english/
– Expected number of visitors: approximately 20,000
– Photos of the past WGTs: www.wave-gotik-treffen.de/english/photogallery.php